Face lifts, or RHYTIDECTOMY is one of the most common cosmetic surgery performed worldwide. As one ages, the youthful fullness of the face is lost, loose skin, sagging brows, loss of a sharp jawline, wrinkles and creases characterise the aging process.
Face lift surgery removes excessive skin from around the jawline and cheeks. Incisions are placed in inconspicuous areas extending from the front of the ear to behind it. The underlying tissues are also tightened to give a fullness effect to the face.
The procedure is also complemented by techniques like forehead lift, eyelid surgery and brow lift.
What is a facelift?
A facelift, also known as rhytidoplasty or rhytidectomy, is a cosmetic surgery procedure which is used to correct the signs of the ageing face. With age, the facial skin loses its elasticity. This coupled with the effect of gravity, leads to sagging skin and loss of jaw line definition. A facelift restores the normal youthful appearance of the face by tightening the sagging skin and underlying muscles, and by removing excess skin and fat.
Who is an ideal candidate?
A healthy individual who has developed advanced signs of ageing on his face including deep wrinkles, loose, sagging skin, jowls in the jaw line is an ideal candidate for the procedure. This is often combined with blepharoplasty for removal of eye bags and a forehead lift to restore youthful contours of the face and takes away years from the appearance.
Post Operative Period:
- Drains are placed during surgery and kept for initial days.
- Dressings are removed within a week and then eventually stitches are removed depending on the healing process.
- Mild swelling and bruising are common and resolve in a few days.
- Results are lasting and make the patient look younger.
2. SMAS lift: This is a more refined version of the facelift which addresses the laxity of the underlying facial tissue. The SMAS (Superficial Musculoaponeurotic System) is the fibrous tissue between the subcutaneous fat and the facial muscles. In an SMAS lift, this is specifically tightened along with the overlying skin. This increases the strength of the repair and thereby the longevity of results over a skin-only.
Book an Appointment
Submit your review