Nose reshaping surgery or rhinoplasty encompasses a variety of surgeries designed to correct deformities and intensify nasal proportions.
The nose occupies a central position in the face and thereby lends a great deal to overall facial beauty and a pleasing look. A straight and symmetrical nose adds more attractiveness to one’s personality, while a crooked and deformed nose detracts from it.
Nose reshaping surgery or rhinoplasty encompasses a variety of surgeries designed to correct deformities and intensify nasal proportions. The rhinoplasty surgery helps to correct the bump of the bridge (dorsal hump), nasal width, twisted nose, prominent nasal tip, nasal tip, post-traumatic deformities (nasal injury), and internal valve collapse.
- Augmentation of the nasal bridge (dorsal hump).
- Osteotomies for reduction of the width of the nose.
- Septum repositioning for deviated septum and associated breathing difficulties.
- Tip Surgery: Performed to correct buboes, wide tip, and nasal flaring. This procedure is done under local/general anesthesia depending on the extent of surgery.
- Correction of post-traumatic deformities (nasal injury), and internal valve collapse.
- The surgeon and the patient discuss the surgical goals.
- The surgeon also evaluates patient’s medical history, previous surgery, current medical condition, allergy, and current medications
- Depending on these factors, the surgeon decides whether one is a good candidate for the surgery or not
- One has to avoid consuming blood-thinning medications and smoking before the surgery
The best way to find out if you’re a good rhinoplasty candidate is to meet personally with one of our experienced surgeons at Aestiva Hospital.
- Unhappy with the shape, size, appearance, and angle of their nose.
- The nose is crooked, badly shaped and its shape is out of alignment.
- Want to correct nasal hump or a drooping or elevated nasal tip.
- Suffering from breathing and congenital birth defects.
- Want to get improvement in their nasal shape.
- Have realistic expectation with the surgery.
- Not suffering from body dysmorphia.
Note: Individuals suffering from hemophilia are not considered ideal candidates for this procedure.
Anesthesia is administered to ensure patient comfort during the surgery. After the area is numbed, the incision is made, this helps the surgeon to access the bones and the cartilage that provide shape and support to the nose. In the next step, the bone or cartilage is adjusted inside the nose, and this helps to reduce or increase the nose shape, and the nose is either lengthened or shortened. Some tissue fillers and grafts are also used to increase the volume in the desired nose area. During the surgery, monitors are used to check heart rate, blood pressure, pulse rate, and the amount of oxygen circulated in the blood. After the surgery, a nasal splint is used over the nose that provides support, and also protects the nose while sleeping and provides a shield from accidental bumps.
This surgery is performed on an outpatient basis and is mostly performed in two ways open and closed rhinoplasty. In both the approaches, the incisions are hidden within the internal nostril area, and in the open rhinoplasty region, an external incision is made on the columella tissue undersurface. During the surgery, the best care is taken to preserve the breathing function of the nose. In closed rhinoplasty, the incision is made inside the nose; there is no risk of external cuts or scarring. Each surgery is customized according to the patient's needs and facial aesthetics.
- The surgery not only enhances the facial harmony by improving the proportions of the nose but also builds self-confidence.
- Corrects sinus problems, snoring problem, headaches, deviated septum, and constant nasal congestion.
- Revision rhinoplasty helps to make the adjustments that one is not to able to achieve in the first rhinoplasty surgery.
- It improves breathing in people suffering from birth defects. This surgery also repairs the broken nose.
- Reduces the nasal tip and bridge.
Stop smoking for at least 4-6 weeks after the surgery this helps to promote better healing
Do not consume blood-thinning medications and certain anti-inflammatory drugs that can increase the risk of bleeding
Take plenty of rest and sleep straight
Consume fluid diet and do not exert any type of strain on the nose
Do not chew gums and brush gently
Do not take showers and protect the treated area from hot water and temperature
Avoid making an extreme facial expression
Many times chin augmentation surgery is also performed with rhinoplasty to achieve a better-defined chin profile.
Rhinoplasty is generally performed under general anesthesia, and the entire surgery typically lasts for 2-3 hours. Depending on the patient's situation and expectations from the treatment, the doctor will identify which type of technique - an open or closed rhinoplasty - can be used to get effective results in return. The nasal dorsum, tip, and nostrils are then addressed in the same order. Incisions are closed, and the nostrils are packed with gauze. Usually, a nasal splint is also applied.
The patient is advised to wear a nasal splint for the first 7-10 days after the surgery. Internal nasal splints will be removed within 7-10 days after the operation, and the external splint will be removed at the same time. Initially, one may have moderate swelling and bruising around the eyes that could last up to a few weeks after the surgery. Icing or cold compresses are advised to patients and must be performed for about three to four times in a day as it will help to reduce the swelling faster. Most of the bruising subsides in about 3 to 4 weeks, and any remaining bruises can be covered with makeup after a week. Strenuous activity should be prohibited for up to four weeks after the surgery.
Results from a rhinoplasty surgery will be visible to patients once the swelling goes down, bruises subside and after removal of the nasal splint by the surgeon. Nasal breathing may also be slightly difficult for about three weeks after the surgery due to swelling. Mostly, patients see the final results within two to three months after the surgery is performed. The nose will gradually become more refined over the following months.
Monday to Saturday : 10:00am - 7:00pm | Sunday : Closed